Fat Girl tells HER views on hikes in the Pacific Northwest

I HATE, HATE, and triple HATE it when a hiking website or book tells me that a hike is easy and you get there and it kills you! This is because, if your like me, you might be outta shape or FAT. Hiking is a bitch no doubt about it! But, I wanted something cheap and fun to do with my girlfriends and hiking is the perfect way to rid yourself of women drama and just do something! Since I started hiking in January 2010 I have lost 30 lbs...I still have another 50 to go so I have grabbed some friends and hit the trail and I want you to do the same!

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Horsetail Falls and Triple Falls- August 2010

First of all, if you would like to hike this trail get here early on weekends or try this on a weekday.  We arrived around 10am and had to wait a few minutes to find a parking spot but, when we were done we had to fight to get out of our parking spot and had to tell three different cars to back off so we could pull out and they could park there.

My husband and daughter came with me on this hike.  The weather forecast called for 75 degrees and sunny so I wore a tank top and capri cargo's and of course my trusted hiking boots.

Some websites state this hike it 3.8 to 4.5 miles with an elevation gain of 400 to 700 feet.  I can tell you this...this hike is both bad and good.  The hilly spots are killer...including the first .4 miles. Its straight up!! Then the trail goes flat and then goes down down and then up up.  Basically, if your not prepared this hike will suck! We saw lots of people give up at Ponytail Falls or at the high bridge. DON'T GIVE UP!

This is an wonderful day hike in the gorge.  Its a bit crowded which clogs up the trail but, it clears out the farther you go.

FINAL THOUGHT
Take your time with this hike and don't make this your first adventure.  We saw alot of people give up and turn around and it was sad because when you reach the top you can play in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment