Fat Girl tells HER views on hikes in the Pacific Northwest

I HATE, HATE, and triple HATE it when a hiking website or book tells me that a hike is easy and you get there and it kills you! This is because, if your like me, you might be outta shape or FAT. Hiking is a bitch no doubt about it! But, I wanted something cheap and fun to do with my girlfriends and hiking is the perfect way to rid yourself of women drama and just do something! Since I started hiking in January 2010 I have lost 30 lbs...I still have another 50 to go so I have grabbed some friends and hit the trail and I want you to do the same!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Trilium Lake Snowshoe (Satan if you ask me) January 2010


So, three of my closest friends and I decided that it would be an AWESOME adventure if we all went snowshoeing on Mt. Hood at a beautiful place called Trillium Lake. We were all so excited to spend our day together while enjoying the sunshine and the views of Mount Hood. We left around 8am for this "easy" snowshoe and we were anticipating a fantastic day together...hell did we know that I almost punched the bitches towards the end.

Along on this adventure with me was my friends Ida, Amanda, and Becky. On the hike I wore waterproof pants, long sleeve shirt, hiking cushioned socks, and a water proof wind breaker. Make sure you also bring along sunglasses, hat, and the ability to control yourself when you want to cut someone or just scream for mercy.

This mother effer will take you around 4 hours. Make sure to stop and get a pass and snowshoe's first. Its a 5 mile loop from the parking lot. When you reach the bottom of hill-kill-me-now you can either go straight or turn to the right. We chose the path to hell...the right. Even though, it's a gorgeous stroll through snow and trees...within the first mile my feet started to burn and I could feel the sweat pouring down my neck. This hilly SOB sucked ass! At times I lost my group of girls because I asked them to not wait up for me. Okay, don't do this...I thought I was going to die and if I did where they hell were they?

When we reached the frozen lake (about 3 miles in) it was glorious! We took lots of pictures and took a seat in the snow to eat some snacks before we completed the remaining 2 miles of hell. At this point...I could feel blisters on my arch's and my back and hair were so soaked with sweat I knew I smelled like I hadn't showered in weeks.

Last point I will make about this GOD AWFUL hike is that the last part...the hill I deemed Satan...knocked me on my ass! With the elevation, the fact that I am fat, and a smoker...I cried like a baby and told my Best Friend Becky to back the F off!

When we reached the parking lot Ida and Amanda had been waiting for Becky and Me for about 30 minutes. Even though Becky could have gone with them, she stayed with me and really encouraged me not to give up. This ladies, is what a true friend does! With all my adventures I recommend that you have a person like this with you..especially if you are going out for the first time!!!

FINAL THOUGHT
Even though this hike was a bitch and I swore I would never do Satan again we decided that we were going to do it again! After this adventure, I was sore for about 3 days in my legs and lower back but, I DID IT! I finished that snowshoe SOB and I did it slow but, I DID IT! and you know what...you can too!

No comments:

Post a Comment