Fat Girl tells HER views on hikes in the Pacific Northwest

I HATE, HATE, and triple HATE it when a hiking website or book tells me that a hike is easy and you get there and it kills you! This is because, if your like me, you might be outta shape or FAT. Hiking is a bitch no doubt about it! But, I wanted something cheap and fun to do with my girlfriends and hiking is the perfect way to rid yourself of women drama and just do something! Since I started hiking in January 2010 I have lost 30 lbs...I still have another 50 to go so I have grabbed some friends and hit the trail and I want you to do the same!

Monday, April 4, 2011

Clatsop Loop Trail- Ecola State Park

It's been a long time since I have hiked so, I wanted to start somewhere small and convenient...like the Oregon Coast in April!!  So, my bestie Becky and I drove to Ecola State Park, near Cannon Beach, and went on a Moderate (uh huh) 2.6 mile hike into an old Forest! SWEET!


But, this hike is actually close to 4 miles people! Be prepared too, the first 1.6 miles of it is a steady incline. It will make your heart pump loud and fast as sweat trickles down your face and neck leaving you gasping for air five minutes in. We started at the Indian Beach Trail head located in Ecola State Park. The cost to park here is $5 for an all day pass. Once at the pay machine, take a right to head to Indian Beach. This road is very small and windy and at times only enough room for one car to pass. Becky, gets car sick so she had to keep the window open the entire time, hence she drove home when we left.


Once we parked at the trail head and got prepared for the cold (42 degrees), wet (Oregon drizzle), sometimes sunny (What is the orange thing in the sky?), sometimes hailing (sleet), and blustery(its the Oregon coast) spring conditions.


There are two ways to experience this loop you can either A. stay on the gravel road by going straight past the bathrooms or B. turn left to the viewpoint and go up the rugged dirt trail. We decided to start with the gravel road and this is how I recommend you start as well. The hike up is grueling and sometimes I re-thought my hiking desire and wanted to turn around and cry. My legs felt like jello and I had to stop about half way up to eat a trail bar and take off three of the four layers I had worn. Not to mention that the hike up, all though beautiful is boring!! I kept having to remind myself that the view at the top was the ultimate goal and with this kept pushing myself up the steep terrain. One of my favorite things about a hike like this is that you lose 2/3 of the people right around the middle point as most "day hikers" don't realize how challenging some hikes can be and they turn around.


Once you make it to the top, and you will, your legs will be burning, your head will be sweaty, but you will have to time to recoup...trust me! At the top of the trail crossing ( keep going straight to the view point don't turn left to follow the trail) You will see a primitive camping area and 3 cabins. These three cabins have a communal fire pit and 4 wooden bunks inside. These cabins are free of charge! They will keep you warm and dry if you decide to camp for a day or two.


Across the trail from the campsite is an old World War II radar bunker. You can verge to the left and get on top of the bunker to see the look out posts and take some pics. The entrance's to the bunker are chained off which made me sad.


Once you have had time to check out the camp and bunker,  continue forward and go down to "Clark's View". Be careful here, its very high up, and it was very windy. There is a small opening in the trees to see the beautiful pacific ocean and the old Tillamook light house or Terrible Tilly as its called. This is a great story to read about  www.lighthousefriends.com 




Now that you have made it up the steep hill to the amazing viewpoint, turn around and head back to the trail crossing past the campground. Once at the sign, head to your right onto the Clatsop trail loop. This is where this hike becomes breathtaking! I suggest you wear pants and water resistant or proof hiking boots for this hike. In April, this trail was muddy, slippery and wet! At times we had to climb over fallen trees, walk in a rain-made stream, and step through some serious mud puddles. This trail is also a steady decline.


As you make your way through the tree's you will start to see the ocean about a mile in. Along this side of the trail there are plenty of picture opportunities. I am going to tell you to stop and take in the views around you! It's spectacular! This is why I suggest you come down this way instead of the other way! As I got closer and closer to the end my excitement level sky rocketed! I just wanted to see more of  all the amazing views that some people never get to see in their lives!


The trail finally comes to an end exactly where you started on the gravel road. You will see the parking lot to your right. Becky and I then took a walk around Indian Beach before getting into our car for the drive home.  We were tired and muddy but, felt amazing.


We felt so amazing that we stopped by Ecola State park on the way out to take in the sights. I would suggest you do the same! I rate this hike highly and I can't wait to take more of my friends there during the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment