Fat Girl tells HER views on hikes in the Pacific Northwest

I HATE, HATE, and triple HATE it when a hiking website or book tells me that a hike is easy and you get there and it kills you! This is because, if your like me, you might be outta shape or FAT. Hiking is a bitch no doubt about it! But, I wanted something cheap and fun to do with my girlfriends and hiking is the perfect way to rid yourself of women drama and just do something! Since I started hiking in January 2010 I have lost 30 lbs...I still have another 50 to go so I have grabbed some friends and hit the trail and I want you to do the same!

Monday, July 25, 2011

Elowah and Upper McCord Falls- Columbia River Gorge

On a warm, sunny Sunday morning, three of my closest girlfriends and one amazing step-daughter ventured to Elowah Falls for an invigorating 2 mile hike.  Elowah falls has been voted as one of the most gorgeous waterfalls in Oregon. The trail head is located right next to Yeon State Park off of I-84 in the Columbia River Gorge. We hit the trail after eating an amazing breakfast at around 11am.

This hike starts right off the busy I-84 freeway. There is a small parking lot that will direct you to the beginning of the trail with a large, dark sign. this two mile hike is kind of intense for the first mile or so. After you hike a bit into the wilderness, the trail forks in three. Go to the right and see Upper McCord Creek, venture straight and hook up to an old trail, or go to the left to see Elowah falls.  We read that you should go left and then when you come back from Elowah falls go to the right to see Upper McCord Creek falls...which is exactly what we did.


There are some spots that are tough to climb....and if your scared of heights this hike might not be your best option.  Parts of the trail are high and tight, and with crowds in the summer there was many times we had to stop to let others pass. There are two spots where a tree has fallen over the trail and a metal pipe too. Be careful, you will have to crawl over these fallen bits to proceed along the trail. But, if you are able to manage these things, you will be reward with an amazing waterfall! The large rock walls that surround the waterfall might give you vertigo with their colors and size and the waterfall pours into a small pond that looks like it would be a great place to soak on a very hot day.  Spend some time here taking pics.  We didn't go farther than  the bridge as some other hikers told us there was nothing more to see on the trail besides the freeway.



As you make your way back the way you came and then proceed to Upper McCord Creek falls, the trail is a bit more strenuous and high. But, the views of the Columbia river are amazing! The views of the river, in my opinion, are more impressive then McCord Creek Falls.





Once you see the waterfall, if you head up a muddy hill at the end of the jungle (and I mean you will get slapped with branches and attacked by bugs) you can take a dip in the 3 foot deep pool at the top. But, be careful as this pond leads directly to the waterfall.



FINAL THOUGHT
This is a great hike for a beginner! It's fast, its pretty, and its not too hard to do.  This hike will make you try many more Gorge hikes in the future I promise. I recommend that you lace up your boots, squeeze that booty into some pants and go see this waterfall!

No comments:

Post a Comment